Greenvale Day Camp
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Update April 9, 2020
The Dutchess County Health Department has notified us that they have put on hold until at least May 30th issuing any permits to run youth camps this summer. They are continually monitoring the situation and "the decision to lift the restrictions will be continually evaluated as the situation evolves." They also are encouraging us to complete and submit the necessary paperwork to run camp.
We are accepting registrations on our website. We have also changed our registration policy: NO FEES ARE DUE UNTIL 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE ACTUAL WEEK OF CAMP. If we cancel, any registration fees that you have paid will be refunded.
Registration NOW, will help us continue the planning and preparation that we need to do NOW (hiring staff, purchasing supplies and on site improvements) to run the program this summer. Assuming camp can run, registration NOW will also guarantee you a spot in camp. When registrations for each week reach capacity, we establish a waiting list.
Your child will have the time of their life at our summer day camp. We have offer a quality, structured program at an affordable price. Daily activities include: Crafts, Games, Sports, Brain Games, Science and Nature Activities, Performing Arts, Weekly Theme, and Camp Wide Activities.
Greenvale Getaway Camp is an outdoor day camp, for campers from ages 4 1/2 -13 held at Greenvale Park (2260 New Hackensack Rd., Route 376). We also have a nearby indoor location for rainy days.
The camp will open on July 1 and run for seven weeks. To accommodate your family's plans, you can register for all the weeks or just the ones you would like. Each week will have a different weekly theme, making each just a little bit different. Week 1 is shortened to four days because of the Fourth of July Holiday.
Our normal camp hours are from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Extended hours care is available from 7:30 AM to 9:00 AM and from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
Our staff is carefully selected, trained and motivated to offer the best camp experience for your child. Many return several summers. The Staff to Camper ratio at 1:5 is one of the best in the area.
Camp and the Corona Virus
The Dutchess County Health Department issues a permit for us to run the camp. This week we have received new guidance from them. This new order closes camps until May 30th or a later date as determined by the Commissioner of Health. The memo states “the situation will be monitored closely and the decision to lift the restrictions will be continually evaluated as the situation evolves”. It also strongly encourages us to prepare and submit the documentation needed to open camp.
On the basis of this new information we are resuming preparation for camp this summer. We are determined to run the camp if we are allowed to and if we can make the necessary preparations. Our camp has a reputation for having an affordable, well supervised and quality program. This summer will require unusual flexibility and imagination by our staff and our families to continue that reputation. We are dedicated to making that happen.
While we are working out how to make camp happen, you can register for camp. We are deferring payment of camp fees until 2 weeks before the week of camp. Fees for that week are due at that time.
Thank you for your patience.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Please review the Town's Cancellation and Refund Policy. It can be found under the LINKS section below.
Typical Daily Schedule
Here is a sample of a typical day in camp. We divide the campers into six groups by ages in camp for that week. Each group has its own rotation to follow so this schedule will vary.
7:30-9:00 Extended Hours Care is available
9:00 Arrival at camp, groups gather, attendance taken, announcements made
9:20 Brain Games Station
10:00 Performing Arts Station
10:45 Break and Snack Time
11:25 Sports and Games Station
12:05 Arts and Crafts Station
1:25 Weekly Theme Station
2:05 Science and Nature Station
2:45 Group Time
3:10 Camp Wide Activity
4:00-6:00 Extended Hours Care is available
Senior Camper Program
This year we are instituting a "Senior Camper" program for campers who are 12 1/2 to 14 years old . The program will include some of our basic program areas (Sports, Science, Weekly Theme and Brain Games) and add in activities geared towards learning and practicing other skills and activities. This will include activities like job preparation skills, money management skills and basic first aid/CPR. Participants will also work as "buddies" with our younger campers for part of the day.
• The cost for residents of the Town of Poughkeepsie to attend the camp is $130 per week. The Extended Hours Program is $30 per week additional.
• Non-Town of Poughkeepsie residents are welcome to participate. The non-resident fee is $130 per week ($130 for the first week).
• Registration opens on March 1. It closes for a particular week when capacity for that week is full or on the Thursday of the prior week (whichever comes first).
• Once the capacity of the camp is reached, a waiting list will be established. If you are on the waiting list, you will be notified if a space becomes available to you.
Rainy Day Plan
Greenvale Getaway Camp has arranged to hold the camp inside in case of inclement weather. The rainy day plan will work this way:
• We will be using either Hagan Elementary School (42 Hagan Drive) or Nassau School (7 Nassau Road), depending on which one is available that week.
• The decision to use the Rainy Day Plan is not automatic. It will be a JUDGEMENT CALL based on the National Weather Service forecast for the Town of Poughkeepsie.
• To allow for adequate notification, a decision will be made on whether we will use the indoor location late in the afternoon on the prior day.
• Campers will be notified by blast email sent to the email address on record for the family. It will also be posted on the Recreation Department Website (www.PoughkeepsieTownRec.com); Cancellations.com; and with a sign posted at the camp entrance.
• Once the decision to move inside or not move inside has been made, it will not be changed. Campers will not be moved to the indoor location during the camp day. If we are at camp and it begins to rain we will stay at the camp using the pavilions and tents.
• The Extended Hours Program will be available at the indoor location.
Health Department Permit Notice
Greenvale Day Camp operates under permit issued by the Dutchess County Health Department. The camp is required to be inspected twice yearly; the inspection reports and required plans are filed at the Dutchess County Health Department , 85 Civic Center Plaza, Suite 106, Poughkeepsie, NY 2601 and are available for review.